In the America Trophy (the MAISA Co-Ed Spring Championships), total 18 team participated and among them sailing team of Washington College was one of them.
On the final day of the race, the team of Washington College sailing finished in 15th
position and in the Salisbury Spring Open championship they were first of five teams.
What happened in the America Trophy (MAISA Co-Ed Spring championship)?
- In A Division, Washington was 18th. And for A Division races the first two was done by Skipper Alex Smith, he sailed with crew Allison Cochran. The next four races were sailed by skipper Hannah Schmidt with crew Andrew Vernon. They also sailed together for races 8A and 10A. For races 7A and 9 A Schmidt was the skipper and he sailed with crew Griff Rodrigue. Similarly, races 11A through 14 A Smith was the skipper and he sailed with Vernon as crew. Again for 15A race and Schmidt took the responsibility of the skipper and sailed with crew Maura Matthews. In the A Division race next-to-last Vernon and Smith placed sixth.
- Matt McDermaid Skipper drove Washington to the position of 11th B Division race. He was sailing with crew Lindsey Arnstein and they remain together for the first seven races. After that for next five races Cochran was there, and final three races Charles Streitwieser took the responsibility of the skipper. In the race 4B Arnstein and McDermaid were second; on the other in race 9B Cochran and McDermaid were second.
- At the regatta, the top nine finishing teams qualified for the semifinal of ICSA Co-Ed Dinghy National competition. Teams who remain in the top nine positions were, Hobart/William Smith, Fordham, Navy, George Washington, Georgetown, St. Mary’s, Hampton, Merchant Marine and Old Dominion. Respective ranking of teams can be checked on the website.
The Helly Hansen NOOD (National Offshore One Design) Regatta series of 2017 scheduled has been prepared.
The five-stop series will cover sailing destination of countries that are renowned.
Helly Hansen is a company providing technical apparel for sailing and has experience of more than 130 years in the field. The sailing apparel protects professionals in the water. The company has sponsored the NOOD since three years and this is the fourth time, it has come up with NOOD.
- The Series NOOD Regatta Helly Hansen Will Cover Following Destinations.
- Petersburg Yacht Club, St. Petersburg from February 17 to 19.
- Coronado Yacht Club and San Diego Yacht Club, San Diego from March 17 to 19.
- Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis from May 5 to7.
- Chicago Yacht Club, Chicago from June 9 to11.
- Corinthian Yacht Club, Marblehead from July 27 to30.
The Sailing World Cup was held in Qingdao and similar to the weather conditions in Sheboygan, the weather here also made the sailors wait for day three as the first two days the weather remained unfavorable for sailing.
This was similar to the conditions that were witnessed in 2008 when the Beijing Olympic Games were held. Sailors at Quindao had to meet with tricky weather elements such as currents and cloud cover. Not only did the visiting sailors suffer, but also those who were competing as part of the host nation. They also made mistakes and lost out points.
In the Laser men category Croatia remained on top of the fleet. Tonci Stipanovic was able to hold off Coccoluto who was trying to gain above the Olympic medalist. The Cyprus team made some bad starts in the beginning, but they recovered and finished in the second as well as the fifth place. The team admitted that they made certain mistakes in the beginning. However, when the current was strong they were able to move into fifth position. The forecast was said to be similar in the coming days with light winds and strong current. However, when the sailors went out to the waters, it was not found to be so. They found favorable conditions for sailing though cloud cover kept coming about and pressure and wind shafts kept moving up and down. (more…)
The absolute beauty of Costa Smeralda does not tell the whole tale about why the sailors come back every year to the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup.
The third day threw up a dissimilar set of challenges to the first two days of contest, and this is the challenge of the unknown, how one could deal with the unexpected, which keeps these contestants coming back for more and more.
Shiftier, lighter breezes worked quite nicely for Momo, Dieter Schön’s new seventy-two-footer that won both today’s races to clutch the lead in Rolex Maxi 72 World Championships. Of the forty boats as well as five racing classes, Thomas Bscher’s hundred-and-seven footer Open Season is the one to have saved a clean sheet thus far, securing all her races in Wally Division.
Still, this is not just the newest boats that are fearing well in the blend of all conditions in Porto Cervo. New leader in Mini Maxi Racer Cruisers is Giuseppe Puttini’s vintage Swan 65 Shirlaf (of 1976), which is one of the most advanced yachts of her day and it is still gracing the world’s top regattas almost forty years later.
If you believe that you have a whole lot to park your car, so attempt to look for a place for your yacht. Well, as if the boats were not really expensive enough, but Harbour 26, a new “dockominium” in Fort Lauderdale in Florida, is charging up to US$ 3 million for yacht parking spots, said to Battle Plan Capital, an Alabama-based investment group behind the development.
The twenty six totally covered, hurricane-rated boat slips each come with a 2-story storage adeptness along with an enwrapped garage as well as additional car parking. The harbor that is around 5 minutes from Fort Lauderdale airport, is also set to have a full club house on the place, with a pool, entertainment and fitness centers, barbeque as well as twenty four hour security, in case owners are bored aboard their very own yachts. (more…)
Following a lot of skepticism regarding the very first Phuket Yacht Show would happen, it has been declared that the 1st edition of the program has been called off for now because of circumstances that are beyond their control.
It had been scheduled to happen from 12th 15th February, at Phuket Yacht Haven Marina that is being remade to become grandest superyacht marina in Asia. The owner of marina and the show organizers tell that the present conditions mean it would be preferred for the show to be at a later date. No particular alternative dates have so far been declared.
Apparently, the postponement has been the final result of a push from the officials of the Thailand government to have this later in the year. Industry experts have also proposed the organizers of the show to increase the number of superyachts hitting the Thailand waters from Mediterranean for winter season.
Organizer 3L Events managing director Andy Treadwell stated that both his team and the Yacht Haven Marina team have all worked really hard to get the show off the ground this year. This is a hug project, and a highly significant one for yachting in Asia, but they all agree that it would be better to delay until conditions are perfect.
He further added that what is most important is the great interest the events start had triggered in this industry. They believe that this would be a great event as well as a great catalyst for the development of the yachting industry there. And the primary point was the center on charter, so it is also very exciting to have had a positive reaction from Thai government this might offer a great boost to the industry across the world.